Steak with Ginger Plum Barbecue Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/2 cup prepared plum sauce
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon garlic
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound beef top round steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 cups fresh pea pods, strings removed
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and ground black pepper
3 cups hot cooked jasmine rice, prepared without butter or salt
Chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and 1/2 cups marinade in food to safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 8 to 9 minutes for medium to rare doneness, turning occasionally and basting with some of the reserved marinade during last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling. Remove; keep warm.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrots; stir-fry 5 minutes. Add pea pods and garlic; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Carve steak into thin slices. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Place remaining marinade in small saucepan; heat until warm. Serve with steak, vegetables and rice. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by John Wiley and Sons.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.