Seasoned and floured beef steak is browned, then braised in a savory sauce of tomatoes, onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce until fork tender.
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced*
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons beef base or bouillon granules
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt - divided use
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 (1 1/2-pound) top round steak
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour - divided use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or more, if needed)
Hot cooked rice or noodles for accompaniment (optional)
- Prepare the vegetables; mince the garlic, slice the onion, celery and mushrooms; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, Worcestershire sauce, beef base and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Cover a flat working surface with plastic wrap and place steak on top; season both sides of steak with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle one side of steak with 2 tablespoons of the flour and pound into the steak using a kitchen mallet or the edge of a small plate. Turn steak over and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and again, pound into steak.
- Cut steak into serving size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; when hot, add the steak and cook until nicely browned, turning only once (do not over-crowd skillet, cook in batches if necessary -- adding more oil if needed, and then return all pieces back to skillet).
- Top the browned meat with the prepared vegetables, evenly pour the tomato mixture over all and heat to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until steak is fork tender. Watch closely, it may be necessary to add a small amount of water if the liquid in pan reduces too much before steak is tender.
- Serve on a bed of hot cooked rice or noodles, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*Or use 1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms, drained.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 232.1 calories; 30% calories from fat; 7.8g total fat; 64.6mg cholesterol; 530.6mg sodium; 795.5mg potassium; 11.5g carbohydrates; 1.7g fiber; 3.6g sugar; 9.8g net carbs; 28.5g protein.