Szechwan Shredded Beef and Carrots
Spicy hot, Szechwan-style beef stir-fry with carrots.
12 ounces beef top round steak
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon hot bean sauce or hot bean paste
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
3 medium carrots, cut into julienne strips (1 1/2 cups)
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
2 green onions, thinly bias-sliced (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. (At this point you can partially freeze meat to make slicing easier.) Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Cut strips in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the sherry, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, bean sauce or paste, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add oil to wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry carrots in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove carrots from wok.
- Add meat to wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness.Push meat from center of wok.
- Add sauce to center of wok. Cook and stir until bubbly. Return cooked carrots to wok. Stir all ingredients together to coat. Cook and stir about 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- Serve immediately with hot cooked rice. Sprinkle individual servings with sliced green onions, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.