Egg Nog Grog
A rich and delicious treat served at any party, this festive beverage dates back to colonial America.
6 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 quart milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup bourbon (optional)
1/3 cup dark rum (optional)
- In a large saucepan, beat together eggs, sugar and salt.
- Stir in just two cups of milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Make sure to get in the corners of the pan or the eggs might curdle when they get hot.
- When the mixture reaches 160°F (70°C) or is thick enough to coat a spoon with a thin film, remove from the heat.
- Mix together the bourbon and dark rum but the alcohol is optional.
- Next stir in the remaining 2 cups milk and a vanilla.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.