A home-brewed, sweet herbal liqueur.
1 teaspoon chopped, dried angelica root
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 whole clove
1 pinch nutmeg
1 vanilla bean, split
1 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespooon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon anise extract
1/2 teaspoon banana extract
1/2 teaspoon (scant) pineapple extract
3 cups 100 proof vodka
1 teaspoon glycerine
2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring
- Put angelica, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and vanilla bean in medium saucepan, add water. Heat to boil, remove from heat. Let stand 15 seconds. Then pour through wire-mesh strainer, lined with a coffee filter, into a bowl. (It's important to work quickly or the spices will impart too strong a color and taste to the liquid.) Hold on to the vanilla bean, discard the other spices.
- Rinse saucepan and pour liquid back into it. Add vanilla bean and sugar. Heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add lemon juice, extracts, and alcohol, stirring to combine. Pour into clean container. Cap, and age in a cool, dark place for 1 week.
- After 1 week, strain through a cloth bag set in a wire-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Repeat until desired clarity is reached. Stir in glycerine and food coloring.
- Bottle and seal, allow to age for 3 to 6 months.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.