A sweet, cake-like German holiday bread flavored with anise, lemon and orange peel.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tablespoons anise seed
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons water
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- In a bowl combine flour, softened butter, sugar, grated lemon peel, grated orange peel, salt, nutmeg, anise seed, eggs, milk, and water. Stir in the yeast mixture and knead to form a soft dough.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat, cover, and allow to rise until doubled; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, form in a greased loaf pan, and allow to rise again; about 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is browned.
Makes 1 loaf.