Enjoy these tender, old-time blueberry scones, sweetened with molasses, for breakfast or with afternoon tea.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon unsulphered molasses
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter in flour mixture until mixture resembles tiny peas.
- Add blueberries and mix lightly. Gradually add milk and molasses. Be gentle with dough so berries are not crushed.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into 1/2-inch thickness circle.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Score each top into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until risen and browned.
Makes 8 scones.