Braided Potato Bread
Mashed potatoes added to the dough gives this bread great texture and flavor.
1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon water
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Combine mashed potatoes, milk and butter in a saucepan; heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Cool to 120°F to 130°F (50°C to 55°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Gradually add milk mixture and 2 eggs, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F / 30°C), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal portions. Shape each portion of dough into a 14-inch rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet (do not stretch); pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes; pinch loose ends together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Combine egg white and water; stir well. Brush egg white mixture over top and sides of loaf. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove bread from baking sheet immediately; let cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.