Canadian Cheddar Cheese Scones
A delicious quick bread with the rich flavor of sharp cheddar cheese in every scrumptious bite. Brushing milk over the individual wedges before baking ensures a rather appealing crispiness to the outside of the scone. Wonderful served with a variety of salads, soups, stews and chili.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups (8-ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir flour, salt, baking powder and mustard powder together. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the cheese, mixing well.
- Combine the egg with 1/4 cup of the milk and stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough, adding more milk only if it is needed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead several times and then pat dough out into an 8-inch circle onto the prepared baking sheet. Cut into 8 wedges. Brush scones with milk.
- Bake until tops are just starting to brown, about 9 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 scones.© Copyright 1999 CooksRecipes.com.