Maraschino cherries, bananas and macadamia nuts are a perfect trio in this holiday quick bread.
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Coarsely chop cherries; set aside.
- Put butter, brown sugar, eggs and reserved cherry juice in a large mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well mixed.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with mashed bananas, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 1 hour, or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Wrap in plastic wrap or store in a tightly covered container.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.