Cinnamon Swirl Scones
Treat overnight guests to a simple breakfast of these scrumptious cinnamon swirled scones, seasonal fresh fruit and mugs of piping hot chocolate, coffee or tea.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk, apple or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease cookie sheet; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine milk, egg and vanilla in a small bowl; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with the pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl; mix well.
- Sprinkle evenly over dough in bowl; gently stir batter to swirl in cinnamon mixture (Do not blend completely.)
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Divide dough in half and roll or pat dough into 2 circles (about 8-inches in diameter). Cut each into 6 wedges.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and enough milk or juice for desired consistency.
- Drizzle over top of warm scones. Serve warm.
Makes 12 scones.