Gluten-Free Olive, Shallot and Rosemary Focaccia
This simple and mouth-watering recipe for focaccia bread is sure to please gluten lovers and gluten-free eaters alike.
2 cups lukewarm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 4 1/2 teaspoons
4 large eggs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for pan
3 cups brown rice flour - divided use
1/2 cup each: white rice flour, sorghum flour and tapioca starch/flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cornmeal
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 (6 ounce) can California Ripe Olives, well drained
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons Maldon Sea Salt
- Place water, sugar and yeast in a large mixer bowl; let stand for five minutes or until yeast begins to foam. Beat in eggs and olive oil. Add flours, xanthan gum and salt and beat well with a dough hook for five minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. Mixture should be a very thick batter.
- Lightly oil two medium baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Spread batter about 1-inch thick into pans and top with garlic, rosemary, olives, shallots, cheese and Maldon salt, in that order, pressing lightly into the dough. Let stand in a warm spot for 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Bake focaccia for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, tenting with foil during the last five or 10 minutes if topping browns too quickly.
- Cut in wedges to serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided by www.calolive.org via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.