Golden Apricot Scones
These tender, sugar-topped scones are laced with bits of fresh apricot.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup diced fresh Washington apricots
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
- Combine and mix flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and cut into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add apricots and toss until pieces are coated with flour mixture.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon milk; mix remaining milk and egg.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- On a lightly floured board, knead dough gently about 10 times.
- Pat dough into a 3/4-inch thick round; cut into 8 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Place dough on lightly oiled baking sheet; brush with reserved milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 227 calories, 5.3 g protein, 30.1 g carbohydrate, 9.0 g fat (36% Cal. from fat), 54.3 mg cholesterol, 1.1 g dietary fiber, 341 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.