A hearty, molasses-sweetened oatmeal yeast bread.
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup regular oats
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/4 cup light molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F | 45°C)
1 large egg at room temperature
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg white, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons regular oats
- Combine 3/4 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup oats, shortening, molasses and salt in large mixer bowl; set aside and cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir yeast mixture, egg and 1 1/2 cups of the flour into the oat mixture. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl frequently for 2 minutes. Add remaining flour on low speed, beating until smooth.
- Place batter into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, smoothing into shape with floured hands. Brush top with egg white; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons oats. Let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove immediately from baking pan; cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.