This hearty oat and whole wheat yeast bread makes great sandwich bread, and toasts nicely, too.
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup honey
5 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
4 cups quick cooking oats
4 (.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 3 tablespoons
2 tablespoons salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup cornmeal
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, warm water, butter, and honey to 120°F (50°C).
- In a large bowl combine together flour, quick cooking oats (uncooked), yeast, salt, eggs, and honey mixture. Beat with electric mixer on medium-high for 3 minutes, gradually add wheat germ, cornmeal, and up to 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead on a floured board until smooth no longer sticky. Place in a greased bowl, turn over to coat, cover, and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- Punch down, divide into even portions, roll out evenly to about 3/8-inch thick. Roll up, jelly roll fashion, pinch down ends, fold the ends under, and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 loaves.