Pan Pizza Crust
Thick and chewy pan pizza crust, with that yummy yeasty flavor in every bite.
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white cornmeal
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, pour in warm water and sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 10 minutes or until bubbling.
- While yeast is standing, melt butter and let cool. Once yeast bubbles, stir in butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt. Stir into the yeast mixture.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead, adding additional flour as necessary.
- Put dough into greased bowl; cover, let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down to release air and press into a pizza pan.
- Cover with sauce and desired toppings; bake until browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes 1 large pizza crust.
Tip: For a crunchier crust, bake the crust for 3 to 5 minutes before adding toppings.