Savory Onion and Dried Cherry Scones
Savory, lemon-scented scones with fresh thyme, onion and dried cherries.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons salted butter, chilled
1 teaspoon minced fresh lemon peel
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 cup diced yellow onions
1 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg (for egg wash on the tops of scones)
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add butter and blend on low speed until mixture resembles cornmeal, with small chunks of butter still visible. Add lemon peel, thyme, pepper, onions and dried cherries. Mix on low speed until just combined. Add eggs and heavy cream; blend on low speed until mixture just holds together.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface. Gently fold dough over itself five times. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a 7-inch round, about 3/4-inch thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Brush tops with egg wash.
- Place separated wedges onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool slightly on wire racks.
- These are best served warm.
Makes 12 scones.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.