Simple Oatmeal Bread
This hearty oatmeal yeast bread, sweetened with molasses, is great for sandwiches and even better toasted and served with butter, jam or honey.
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cups boiling water
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- Combine oatmeal and boiling water in a large bowl; mix well and let stand for 30 minutes. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water(105°F to 115°F | 40°C 45°C); set aside and allow to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Mix molasses, butter and salt into the oat mixture until blended. Stir in yeast mixture; combine thoroughly. Gradually add flour, one cup at a time, stirring until mixed after each addition. Transfer dough to a floured surface; knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Place in a warm spot, cover and let rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size. Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- Punch dough down to press air out; shape into two loaves. Place in prepared loaf pans; cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake for 50 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2 loaves.