Swedish Rye Bread
A hot roll mix makes it easy to prepare this orange and fennel-scented rye bread sweetened with molasses.
3/4 cup warm water
1 (16-ounce) package hot roll mix
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 1/2 tablespoons molasses
3/4 cup rye flour
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
All-purpose flour for kneading purposes
- In a small bowl, combine water and the yeast from hot roll mix, stirring to dissolve.
- Mix in the eggs, butter and molasses.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry hot roll mix, rye flour, orange peel and fennel seeds. Stir in the yeast mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth for about 5 minutes, adding more flour, if needed.
- Divide dough in half and then shape each half into 6-inch rounds. Place the loaves onto greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (190°C).
- Score diagonal cuts in top of loaves with sharp knife just before baking.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
Makes 12 servings (two 6-inch round loaves).