Whole Grain Bread
A hearty, yeast bread make with whole wheat, oats, wheat germ and bran, sweetened with honey and molasses.
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water
2/3 cup CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup bran
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/4 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- Combine honey, molasses, yeast, and warm water in a large bowl. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add powdered milk, eggs, oil, and salt; mix well. Add quick cooking oatmeal, wheat germ, bran, and whole wheat flour; stir well.
- Add up to 3 1/4 cup flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the surface. Let rise, covered, until doubled in size.
- Divide into two portions then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 2 loaves.
Recipe is the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.