Whole Wheat Honey Bread
Wholesome homemade, honey-sweetened wheat bread.
2 1/2 cups warm water
1/3 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
- Combine warm water, powdered milk, shortening, honey, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add whole wheat flour and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in white flour.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to a clean bowl; cover and let rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, placing each in a prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 90 minutes, or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake loaves for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and hollow-sounding. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 loaves.