Apple Cinnamon Coffee Ring
A delicious pastry coffeecake with an orange and cinnamon-scented apple and pecan filling and a drizzle of orange glaze.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped tart green apple
1/4 cup butter, melted - divided use
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
- For Dough: Dissolve yeast in water. Set aside until foamy.
- Meanwhile, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt in a small saucepan to 110°F (45°C).
- In a mixing bowl combine the milk mixture, yeast mixture and eggs; mixing well. Add enough flour and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead dough 5 minutes or until elastic.
- Oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, turn to coat all sides; cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour.
- For Filling: Sauté apples in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Remove from heat and add brown sugar, cinnamon, orange peel and pecans. Mix well and set aside.
- Once dough has risen, roll out on floured surface to an 11 x 9-inch rectangle. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and top with apple mixture, leaving 1/2-inch border at edges.
- Fold dough in thirds lengthwise to make 11 x 3-inch roll. Cut crosswise into 12 equal pieces. Arrange pieces, cut side up, in greased 9-inch springform pan forming a ring. Cover and let rise 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Remove from pan and place on a serving plate.
- For Glaze: Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over the ring and serve.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.