Baked Oatmeal with Sautéed Apples
A delicious oatmeal breakfast casserole served with spiced sautéed apple slices.
3 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs, beaten
2 to 3 tart green apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine milk, melted butter and eggs; mix well. Pour into oat mixture and stir until just mixed. Spread in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve topped with Sautéed Apples.
- For Sautéed Apples: Sauté apples in a heavy skillet in butter. Add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Cover skillet and cook over low heat about 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Makes about 2 cups.
Makes 6 servings.