Berry Breakfast Bundt
A scrumptious, cream cheese and berry-filled, yeast pastry coffeecake.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blackberry jam (or your choice)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Fresh blackberries for garnish (optional)
- Beat ingredients for berry filling together with an electric mixer.
- Proof the yeast in the warm water, mixed with a teaspoon of sugar, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. Blend the butter and shortening with the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in the buttermilk and yeast mixture. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and press into a greased 10-inch bundt pan, leaving a well in the center for the filling.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the filling and spoon the remaining filling evenly into the well. Press the dough together over the filling, completely enclosing it.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until cake is lightly brown. Unmold onto a serving platter and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle remaining filling over top. Garnish with fresh berries, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.