Caramel Apple Coffeecake
Tender coffeecake with bits of tart green apple and topped with a brown sugar and oat streusel topping.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tart green apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 melted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and flour an 8-inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Cut butter in with pastry blender until coarse crumbs form. Stir in milk and egg with fork and mix lightly until soft dough forms.
- Pat 1/2 of dough into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with the chopped apple. Cover with remaining dough.
- For Topping: Combine sugar, oats and butter together. Sprinkle over top of coffeecake.
- Bake about 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.