Italian Sausage and Egg Breakfast Skillet
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups frozen southern-style hash brown potatoes
8 ounces Italian sausage, cooked and sliced or 6 fully-cooked breakfast sausage links (5 ounces)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 cup frozen tri-color pepper mixture
4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk or water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (2 ounces)
- Preheat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add potatoes; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add sausage, mushrooms, if desired, and peppers; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile beat eggs, milk, salt and oregano in bowl until blended.
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour eggs over mixture in skillet. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner. Continue cooking until eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover pan. Let stand until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using Italian sausage): Calories: 306; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 238mg; Total Carbs: 16g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 17g; Sodium: 702mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.