Pizza-Topped Scrambled Eggs
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
2 tablespoons mini pepperoni rounds or chopped pepperoni
2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and ground black pepper in bowl until blended.
- Heat butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds.
- Continue cooking - pulling, lifting and folding eggs - until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Transfer eggs to microwave-safe plate. Drizzle with pizza sauce; top with pepperoni and cheese. Microwave on HIGH a few seconds, just to melt cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.
- Avoid cast iron. Eggs scrambled in a cast iron skillet can turn a greenish shade. This harmless but unappealing color change is the result of a chemical reaction between iron in the pan and sulfur in egg whites.
- Don't overcook. The heat retained in the pan will continue to cook and firm up the eggs after pan is removed from heat.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): Calories: 161; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 230mg; Total Carbs: 3g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 260mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.