Spanish Skillet Supper
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 (5.6-ounce) package Spanish rice mix
2 cups water
1/2 cup thick and chunky salsa
4 large eggs
1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, mix rice with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer covered until rice is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add salsa; stir to mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low. With spoon or spatula, make 4 indentions in rice mixture. Break 1 large egg in each hole. Cover; cook until whites are completely set, and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, or about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Top each egg with 1/4 cup cheese and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 287; Total Fat: 10g; Cholesterol: 232mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Protein: 19g; Sodium: 1208mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.