Have a bounty of zucchini from your garden? Try this delicious Italian-style baked omelet made with zucchini and seasoned with onion, garlic, fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese. This easy dish is sure to become a favorite entrée for brunch or supper.
2 cups grated zucchini
1/4 cup chopped red or white onion
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
5 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or powder)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
Sour cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat melt the 4 tablespoons of butter, remove 2 tablespoons melted butter and place in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Sauté zucchini and onions in remaining butter until tender and moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl with the melted butter, add the eggs, garlic, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and parsley, and beat until well blended.
- Fold the zucchini/onion mixture into the egg mixture and pour into a greased 9-inch round or square baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until firm. Do not over bake.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese at step 4, and sprinkle another 1/2 cup (or more) on top during the last 10 minutes baking time.
- Add 2 tablespoons cooked and crumbled bacon or 1/2 cup diced ham at step 4.
- Omit the flat leaf parsley and add 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh chopped basil and 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes.