Almond-Filled Cookie Cake
A sandwich cookie-like cake with a luscious lemon-kissed almond filling.
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 large egg, slightly beaten
4 whole blanched almonds
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until dough forms. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place cookie sheet in oven to preheat. Grease 10 or 9-inch springform pan.
- Divide dough in half; spread half in bottom of prepared pan to form crust.
- In small bowl, combine all filling ingredients except whole almonds; blend well. Spread over crust to within 1/2-inch of sides of pan.
- Between 2 sheets of waxed paper, press remaining dough to 10 or 9-inch circle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place dough over filling. Remove waxed paper; press dough into place. Top with whole almonds.
- Place cake on preheated cookie sheet. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool 15 minutes or wire rack; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
Makes 12 servings.