Apple Cinnamon Bundt® Cake with Caramel Sauce
With two traditionally paired flavors of Fall, just try to resist this delicious apple cake topped with a rich caramel sauce!
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons canola margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Oil and flour 10-inch fluted tube or Bundt® pan.
- For Cake: In bowl, beat eggs, sugar and brown sugar until combined. Add canola oil, vanilla and chopped apples. Mix thoroughly to combine, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to batter in three additions, alternating with buttermilk in two additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into tube pan. Bake in center of oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, and cake is just beginning to pull away from sides of pan. Cool cake in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack. While cake is cooling, prepare sauce.
- For Sauce: In saucepan, mix together brown sugar, flour, margarine, vanilla and milk. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to rolling boil. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Spoon sauce over cake, letting it dribble down sides. Allow cake to cool completely before cutting and serving or wrapping and storing.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 490; Total Fat 24g; Saturated Fat 2.5g; Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 310mg; Carbohydrates 63g; Fiber 2g; Protein 7g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.