Apple Raspberry Crumb Cake
A deliciously tender oat cake with a crumb topping and an enticing ribbon of chopped apple and raspberry jam filling running through the center.
Cake and Topping:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 cups chopped apple (about 2 medium)
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
2/3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease or spray 9-inch springform pan or round metal cake pan with cooking spray.
- For Cake and Topping: Combine flour, oats, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl; mix well. Cut in margarine and ricotta cheese until crumbly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups oat mixture for topping; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine sour cream and egg whites; add to remaining oat mixture, mixing just until moistened. Spread batter over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan.
- For Filling: Combine apples, jam and flour; spoon over cake. Sprinkle reserved oat mixture over fruit.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and center is firm to touch.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar for garnish. Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.