Berry Crumb Cake
Blueberries, huckleberries, raspberries or other berries, including sliced strawberries, can be used in this deliciously versatile crumb cake that's perfect served anytime of the day. Serve it as a "coffeecake" for breakfast or brunch, or serve it as "dessert" topped with a big dollop of sweetened whipped cream. (Cake in photograph was made with huckleberries.)
1 1/2 cups plus 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour - divided use
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup milk (perferably whole milk)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh or whole frozen blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries (if berries are frozen, do not thaw)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)*. Using vegetable shortening, lightly grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- For Cake: In a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients for the cake EXCEPT for 2 tablespoons of the flour and the berries. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed just until dry ingredients are combined with the wet ingredients, then beat on medium high speed for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until cake batter is smooth; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the reserved 2 tablespoons flour with the fresh or frozen berries; add to the cake batter and gently fold in until fully incorporated.
- Spread cake batter into prepared baking pan and sprinkle evenly with the Crumb Topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean (no wet cake crumbs, wet berry juice is fine).
- For Crumb Topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in the cold butter using a pastry blender (or a knife and fork) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over cake batter.
Makes 9 servings.
*If using a dark baking pan or glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
Tip: The Crumb Topping can be omitted, simply bake the cake plain and serve topped with a sprinkling of powdered sugar; or before baking, sprinkle the batter with a tablespoon or two of granulated or turbinado sugar.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/9 of recipe): 325.6 calories; 33% calories from fat; 12.1g total fat; 41.9mg cholesterol; 320.2mg sodium; 80.6mg potassium; 50.5g carbohydrates; 1.1g fiber; 28.3g sugar; 49.3g net carbs; 4.4g protein.