Brown-Eyed Susan Sweet Potato Cake
This sweet potato layer cake is so good, your family will put YOU on a pedestal for making it!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
15 ounces mashed sweet potatoes or unsweetened canned sweet potatoes, rinsed, drained, and mashed
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (6-ounce) package or 1 cup NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup water
Creamy Premier White Icing:
3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease and flour one 13x9x2-inch or two 9-inch-round baking pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in small bowl. Combine sweet potatoes, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil; beat until well blended. Stir in morsels, pecans and water. Stir in flour mixture; mix until blended. Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan(s) on wire rack(s). For layer cakes, remove from pans after 10 minutes. Frost with Creamy Premier White Icing.
- For Creamy Premier White Icing: Microwave morsels and butter in small, microwave-safe mixer bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat cream cheese and sour cream into morsel mixture until creamy. Add vanilla extract and almond extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups icing.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.