Cherry Crisp Coffeecake
This festive, streusel-topped bran-enriched coffeecake, is topped with cherry pie filling and decorated with a creamy vanilla glaze.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup 100% bran cereal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 (21-ounce) can cherry filling and topping
Almond Bran Topping:
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1/4 cup 100% bran cereal
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mint sprig, for garnish (optional)
- In medium bowl, combine flour, bran, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Blend in eggs and milk. Stir in flour mixture until smooth (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter in greased 9-inch springform pan; spoon cherry filling over batter. Sprinkle with almond bran topping.
- For Almond Bran Topping: Mix almonds, bran cereal, sugar and softened butter until crumbly.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center tests done (filling will stick to wooden pick).
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 25 minutes. Remove outside ring of pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Drizzle with vanilla glaze; garnish with mint sprig if desired.
- For Vanilla Glaze: Place butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in powdered sugar, hot water and vanilla, beating until smooth and slightly thickened.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.