Cherry Upside Down Cake
If you'll love cherries, you love this flavor twist on the classic upside-down cake.
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups pitted sweet cherries*
- In large oven-proof skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter; add brown sugar and cook until dissolved; remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, beat eggs and granulated sugar until pale yellow; about 4 minutes.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in milk; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture and warm milk mixture to eggs and sugar, beating on low just until smooth batter forms.
- Sprinkle cherries in an even layer over brown sugar in pan; pour batter over cherries and bake 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto large platter; serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
*Freezing the cherries partially helps to keep them from floating to the top of cake.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commision.