Chocolate Strawberry Port Cake
A puffy, spirited custard-like chocolate cake, made with port and topped with port-laced fresh strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces - divided use
1/2 cup port wine - divided use
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pint basket fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour 9-inch round pan.
- In double boiler over simmering water, melt butter and 1/2 cup of the chocolate in 1/3 cup of the port. Stir and cool.
- In mixer bowl beat egg yolks with 6 tablespoons of the sugar until thick and pale. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture. Mix in flour and remaining chocolate.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining sugar just until stiff; gradually fold into chocolate batter to blend.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; loosen and invert onto plate.
- With back of spoon press shallow indentation into center of cake. Toss strawberries with remaining port; spoon into center of cake. Pipe or spoon whipped cream around edge.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 534 calories; 6 g protein; 37 g fat; 51 g carbohydrate; 150 mg cholesterol.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.