Colossal Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This scrumptious brownie ice cream cake, layered with a peanut butter-oat streusel inside and out, is sure to be hit with family and friends.
1/3 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter (not reduced fat)
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 quart regular, low-fat or fat-free vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans with aluminum foil, allowing foil to extend over sides of pans. Spray with cooking spray.
- For Topping: Combine oats, flour and brown sugar in large bowl. Cut in peanut butter and margarine with two knives until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
- For Brownies: Melt chocolate chips and margarine in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; mix well. Add combined flour, oats, baking powder and salt; mix well. Divide batter evenly between pans. Sprinkle with reserved topping, patting gently.
- Bake 22 to 24 minutes for 8-inch pan (20 to 22 minutes for 9-inch pan) or just until center of brownie is set. (Do not overbake.) Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
- To Assemble: Spread softened ice cream evenly over one brownie while still in pan. Lift second brownie out of pan; remove foil. With topping side up, place brownie on top of ice cream, pressing gently. Cover and freeze several hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Lift from pan using foil edges. Remove foil; cut into wedges. Individually wrap wedges and store in freezer.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.