Cranberry Applesauce Cake
A moist and delicious, 'cake-mix-easy' cranberry applesauce cake with a fluffy cranberry frosting. Perfect for fall and wintertime entertaining.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
3 large egg whites
1 cup water
1/4 cup cranberry-applesauce
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) container non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (16-ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, egg whites, water and apple sauce. Mix on low speed until batter is moist. Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake cake for 30 to 35 minutes or when a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cakes on wire racks in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely before frosting.
- While cake is baking prepare frosting:
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and 1/2 of the whipped topping until smooth. Fold in the cranberry sauce and the remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate frosting until chilled.
- Frost the center and top of cooled cake only. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings.