Delta Mocha Chiffon Cake
An impressive chocolate and coffee flavored layer cake worthy of presentation atop a cake pedestal.
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling:
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 teaspoons coffee liqueur*
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup cocoa
6 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
Garnish: chocolate-covered coffee beans
- For Cake: Stir together first 3 ingredients until blended; cool.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add cocoa mixture, egg yolks, oil, and vanilla; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Fold into batter. Pour batter into 4 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake, 2 layers at a time, at 325°F (160°C) for 17 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks covered with plastic wrap or wax paper to prevent layers from adhering to racks.
- Spread about 1/2 cup Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling between layers.
- For Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling: Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Microwave whipping cream at MEDIUM (50% power) until warm (do not boil). Stir together warm cream and coffee granules until dissolved; cool. Add whipping cream mixture and liqueur to butter mixture, beating until smooth. Makes 1 3/4 cups filling.
- Frost with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. Garnish, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
- For Chocolate Fudge Frosting: Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients, beating until smooth. Makes 3 1/2 cups frosting.
Makes 1 (9-inch) layer cake; serves 12.
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract may be substituted for liqueur.
Tip: To a make a torte, cut each cake layer in half horizontally with a serrated knife, and use 1/4 cup Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling between layers. Frost as directed.