For fruitcakes, this one soars above the rest for great taste. It is a true fruitcake, there's not one spoonful of flour in the entire mix.
1 pound pitted dates, cut in pieces
1 pound glazed cherries, halved
2 pounds pecans, chopped
1/2 pound shredded coconut
1 pound glazed pineapple, cut in pieces
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Line three 8 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/12-inch loaf pans waxed paper; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix dates, cherries, pecans, coconut and pineapple in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla, continuing to mix.
- Pack very tightly in prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove cakes from pans, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
Makes 3 (2-pound) fruitcakes.