Fudge Mocha Idaho® Potato Cake
This recipe, created by Diane Neibling of Overland Park, Kansas, received an Honorable Mention in the IPC's 2010 Watching Waistlines and Wallets Recipe Contest.
1 cup strong coffee or 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules and 1 cup water
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup instant Idaho® potato flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fat-free whipped topping for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray an 8x8x2-inch nonstick baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine coffee and chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and cook on HIGH setting 1 minute, stir, microwave an additional 15 to 30 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Place in refrigerator 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove coffee mixture from refrigerator. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the egg into the mixture. Beat in the sugar until well blended. Add applesauce and vanilla extract, and beat until just blended. Gradually add the remaining ingredients and beat until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 33 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. Serve with whipped topping (about 2 tablespoons per slice).
Makes 9 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/9 of recipe): Calories: 180; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 150mg
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.