Gabby's Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Cupcakes
This is my granddaughter Gabrielle's recipe for her scrumptious chocolate cupcakes that feature chunks of chocolate-covered peanut butter cup candy inside and out, plus a creamy dreamy homemade peanut butter frosting. (Gabby made the cupcakes in the photograph, and was just 10 years old at the time).
1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate fudge or chocolate cake mix
24 miniature chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped
Peanut Butter Frosting:
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter, any style (Gabby uses natural cream-style)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk (or as needed for desired consistency)
24 miniature chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped for garnish
- For Chocolate Cupcakes: Prepare cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Line two muffin pans with 24 cupcake papers. Fill each cup 2/3 full with chocolate cake batter. Top each cupcake with 1 coarsely chopped miniature chocolate-covered peanut butter cup.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- For Peanut Butter Frosting: Beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and enough milk for the proper consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish each with 1 coarsely chopped miniature chocolate-covered peanut butter cup.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 cupcake): 351.9 calories; 34% calories from fat; 14.1g total fat; 3.7mg cholesterol; 279.8mg sodium; 196.9mg potassium; 55.0g carbohydrates; 1.7g fiber; 45.3g sugar; 53.3g net carbs; 5.6g protein.