Ginger Pound Cake
with Glazed Cranberry Ambrosia
Ginger and spice and cranberry nice! Festive gingerbread made with fresh ginger and served with glazed cranberry ambrosia.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Glazed Cranberry Ambrosia:
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
5 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy; gradually add sugar, and beat 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in ginger and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in a pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve with Glazed Cranberry Ambrosia.
- For Glazed Cranberry Ambrosia: Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring constantly, 3 more minutes or until cranberry skins pop. Remove from heat, and stir in orange rind. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in orange sections, and chill 8 hours. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Makes 1 (9-inch) loaf; 9 servings.