Honey Passion Fruit Blueberry Cupcakes
Made with honey, passion fruit nectar, plump blueberries and topped with a refreshing honey passion fruit whipped cream topping, these cupcakes are quite simply berry-delightful!
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup passion fruit nectar
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup wildflower honey*
2 large eggs
1 cup (4 ounces) fresh blueberries
Honey Passion Fruit Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon wildflower honey*
2 tablespoons passion fruit nectar
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid measure, combine passion fruit nectar and buttermilk; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add honey; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time. Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. With mixer running on low, slowly add the passion fruit mixture. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Honey Passion Fruit Whipped Cream, if desired.
- For Honey Passion Fruit Whipped Cream: In a mixing bowl, combine whipping cream, honey and passion fruit nectar. Beat until peaks form.
Makes 12 to 14 cupcakes.
*Any mild-flavored honey such as clover may be used
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.