Ice Cream Cake
A splendid ice cream cake reminiscent of the classic ice cream sandwich, topped with a chocolate glaze and decorated with a white chocolate drizzle. A little more effort to prepare than your average ice cream cake, but well worth it.
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 cups cocoa powder
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups very hot water
Ice cream center:
1 pint your favorite ice cream, slightly softened
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (or use chips)
White Chocolate Trim: (optional)
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 3 cups sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and mix at low speed of an electric mixer for 5 minutes. Gradually add the hot water while mixing at low speed just until combined. Batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack, then refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour or until ready to assemble cake.
- To Assemble Cake: Place a piece of parchment over the entire cake and then carefully turn it out onto a large work surface. Peel off the original parchment and carefully cut the cake in half lengthwise into 2 layers using a large serrated knife. Place one layer of cake on a rectangular serving platter (or line an upside-down 13 x 17 x 1-inch baking pan with foil). Spread the softened ice cream evenly to the cake edges. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once chilled, carefully place the second layer of the cake onto the ice cream layer, cover with parchment paper and gently press down with another baking sheet pan gently to adhere the top layer. Return cake to the freezer.
- For the Chocolate Topping: In a small saucepan, heat the 1 cup of cream just to a boil; remove from heat and add the chopped semisweet chocolate and whisk until smooth. Set aside and prepare the White Chocolate Trim.
- For the White Chocolate Trim: Repeat the same procedure as for the Chocolate Topping and place it in small pastry bag with a small plain tip.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and working quickly, spread the Chocolate Topping evenly over the top of the cake only.
- Drizzle straight lines of the White Chocolate Trim across the entire surface of the cake diagonally. Draw a wooden pick back and forth in the opposite direction of the lines to make decorative pattern.
- Return finished cake to the freezer until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings.