Mini-Molten Chocolate Cakes
Served warm with luscious mocha cream, these miniature chocolate cakes meltingly ooze chocolate when cut into. Garnish with fresh raspberries or strawberries and chocolate spirals.
3/4 cup butter
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder or 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
1 teaspoon hot water
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sifted powdered sugar (optional)
Raspberries or strawberries (optional)
Chocolate Spirals: (optional)
6 ounces chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- For Cakes: In a heavy saucepan combine butter and chopped chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool.
- Grease six 1-cup soufflé dishes or 6-ounce custard cups. Coat with granulated sugar. Place in a shallow baking pan; set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Beat in chocolate mixture on medium speed. Sift flour and cocoa powder over chocolate mixture; beat on low speed just until blended. Spoon into prepared dishes.
- Bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until cakes rise slightly and feel firm at edges and softer in centers. Cool in dishes for 5 minutes. Invert onto dessert plates. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve with Mocha Cream. If desired, sprinkle with additional sifted powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries or strawberries and Chocolate Spirals.
- For Mocha Cream: Combine espresso powder or coffee crystals with the hot water until dissolved.
- In a chilled bowl, combine the whipping cream powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and espresso mixture. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- For Chocolate Spirals: Melt 6 ounces chocolate and 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening; cool slightly. Pipe onto waxed paper in spiral shapes. Let dry.
Makes 6 servings.