Plantation Pound Cake
A delicious, moist and tender citrus-scented nut pound cake.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup finely ground nuts
Frosting or powdered sugar
- Stir together flour, lemon peel, baking soda and salt, if desired. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and lemon juice until thoroughly blended. On low speed, beat in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, just until blended.
- Pour half of the mixture into greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Top with remaining batter. With narrow spatula, gently swirl through batter to marble.
- Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 60 to 70 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Frost or dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 1 (9-inch) loaf cake; 9 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The American Egg Board.