Pumpkin Angel Cake
A delightful, holiday festive pumpkin angel food cake. Tip: Serve with pumpkin-pie-spiced sweetened whipped cream.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
12 large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, salt, and ginger; set aside.
- In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla. Beating at high speed, sprinkle in 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks.
- Fold 1 cup beaten egg white into mixture into pumpkin. With rubber spatula, fold flour mixture into beaten egg whites in large bowl just until flour disappears. Then, gently fold in pumpkin mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into lightly greased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn upside down, let cool and turn out onto a platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 12 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): calories 240, protein 5 g, carbohydrates 56 g, fat 0 g, cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 200 mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.