Pumpkin Carrot Cake
Try a new twist to carrot cake—add pumpkin! The zesty, citrus-kissed cream cheese frosting takes this cake over the top.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup grated carrots (about 3 medium)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/4 cups chopped nuts - divided use
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
11 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 9-inch-round baking pans.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Combine milk and lemon juice in liquid measuring cup (mixture will appear curdled).
- Beat eggs, pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, pineapple, carrots and milk mixture in large mixer bowl; mix well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined. Stir in coconut and 1 cup nuts. Pour into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost between layers, on sides and top of cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with remaining nuts. Store in refrigerator.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add vanilla, orange juice and grated orange peel; beat until combined.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.